good letters

Hope that the future can be better.
Work for justice.
Work for fairness.
Write good letters.

8.02.2005

Help Me Find Water

In the real world I have a real job. That real job even looks good on my traditional resume. And although I'm relatively successful, I'm miserable--a fish out of water.

Can you help me find water?

I am utterly convinced that there are reasonable solutions to the largest and most important questions facing our society: inequality, injustice, and corruption. I believe that genuine lasting peace among humans is possible; and solving those problems is the only path to that peace. I see the puzzle. I understand many of the pieces. I can feel the presence of a solution, even though I can't quite map it all out yet.

My pen name gives away my ancient hero. My modern hero is Hernando de Soto.

I have visited both extremes--liberal and conservative--and found them both lacking. I've read Adam Smith, Karl Marx, Milton Friedman, John Maynard Keynes, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, David Hume, Plutarch, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Friederich Hayek, Alexis de Tocqueville, Samuel Huntington, Desmond Tutu, John Mueller, Richard Pipes, Mancur Olson, Richard Epstein, Thomas Sowell, Amy Goodman, Amy Chua, John Perkins, and Thomas Barnett. I am not afraid of any of these people, but I am not willing to be constrained to follow any of them. I expect the eventual solution to prove to be quite moderate, in current American political terms--taking good ideas from anyone willing to speak up.

I don't expect to solve the problem by myself. My greatest dream is only to help map out the solution.

I have researched some places where I might fit in and get to work on these problems. Think Tanks, Policy Advocacy Centers, and the like seem to be the most obvious choice. But I am wise enough to know that most of them are de facto ruled by the political interests of their financial supporters. Maybe you can help me find an open-minded place that will consider a non-traditional applicant.

I would love to go back to school and get a PHD in History, Economics, or Political Science. Then I could approach these places, or get approached, in the traditional manner. But I have a growing family to support. I am well paid now, but not well enough to take the time off for a second college education. And my job demands too many hours to attend night school or even take correspondence courses. So I will have to approach them as I am. Whoever they are.

I expect to relocate.

If you are interested in solving these problems, then I ask for your help. I am a real person with a real name and a real resume posted elsewhere on the web. If you know someone who knows someone, or if you have a lead or idea for me, please contact me at trying2bgood(at)gmail.com.

Thank you for your time and assistance.